Hey guys ! So recently I got the opportunity to work with SodaStream 😍 designing drinks and cocktail recipes using soda water! I’m sure you’ve all heard of SodaStream but if you haven’t, it’s a machine which turns ordinary tap 💦 water into sodawater (sparkling water, club soda or what ever you like to call it) in a matter of seconds! I was so grateful when I received my SodaStream ‘Power’ machine and obviously couldn’t start to use it.
I use so much soda water each week so having a SodaStream is super convienient and allows me to create cocktails and drinks when I want. It also dawned on me that I was literally buying 10 bottles of soda water each week and of course this meant throwing away these bottles too. So as well as it being great value for money, the reusable SodaStream bottle reduces my recycling (it’s not like I was really into ‘saving the planet’ but I guess if I can contribute to reducing plastic waste then why not !) and therefore better for the environment. Another amazing feature of the SodaStream Power is that you can control the amount of bubbles. There are 3 levels of carbonation (mild – strong) so if you find standard bubbles in soda water a little aggressive, having the option to reduce the fizz is perfect.
When I think of cocktails involving soda water the first thing that comes to mind is a Mojito…. The only thing is that I’m not a huge fan of Rum. To solve this problem I use Vodka ! I wanted to create a slight twist to the standard mojito so I decided to rim the glass with sugar rather than using simple syrup. After minimal brain storming I came up with the ‘deconstructed’ watermelon 🍉 mojito.
To make this drink you’ll need:
- 1/4 watermelon 🍉 (more than enough)
- 30mls vodka
- Caster sugar (fine sugar) 1/4 cup
- 6 mint leaves 🍃 and extra for garnishing
- Juice of 1/2 a lime + 2 lime wedges for garnishing
- Soda water
- Make the watermelon garnish by cutting a triangle of watermelon (from the end part) then from this cut smaller triangles (picture below).
- Place the sugar in a small bowl (diameter of your bowl should be larger than the glass).
- Use 3-4 watermelon garnishes and mash it/ rub it in the sugar. The end result should be like damp sand. If you introduce too much juice into the sugar it will dissolve: in this case add more sugar to salvage it.
- Cut a small wedge of lime and rim the glass with some lime juice then dip your glass into the watermelon sugar.
- Fill the glass with ice
- In a cocktail shaker muddle the mint leaves, handful of watermelon (cubed) with vodka and lime juice.
- Then double strain this into your glass prepared with ice (no need to shake).
- Top up with sodawater and garnish with watermelon and mint .
- Of course use Rum if you’d like.
- Lots of ice is key.
- This drink is also very delicious as a mocktail.
Hope you guys try making this deconstructed watermelon 🍉 mojito cocktail and if you have any questions please comment or email me and subscribe for more recipes like this one ! Many thanks to SodaStream for providing me with sparkling water on tap! It has been so handy for me especially when hosting guests , large groups, parties etc. The best thing of all is my supermarket bags are so much easier to carry now !
Check out SodaStream’s website if you want to buy one for yourself or as a gift 🎁 – www.sodastream.com.au