My line up of ‘The Last Word’ variations.
Hey guys ! If you didn’t know already , ‘We Have The Last Word‘ @wehavethelastword is a global Instagram event, step up by a very well known (in the #Instacocktails community) Instagrammer Mike @mmydrinks and it runs all of April: go check it out @wehavethelastword if you want to participate . This event showcases variations and riffs of the cocktail THE LAST WORD and aims to share these recipes with the Insta- community of bartenders, mixologists, cocktail enthusiasts , and anyone who loves to drink 🍹!
The Last Word is actually a fairly simple cocktail to make as the ingredients are equal parts of green chartreuse, Gin, lime juice and maraschino liqueur , shaken with ice and served straight up (aka no ice) . All you need is a cocktail shaker, strainer (fine strainer as well : not the end of the world if you don’t have one), ice, spirit measure (or any measuring device for liquids), and a glass 🍸(I think the martini glass is the traditional serving glass).
I did 6 variations for my contribution to the event. I wanted to create different flavour combinations, show case a few of my favourite gins and of course creating something visually stunning! After a while of brainstorming 💭 I came up with a tasting platter resembling the colours of a rainbow 🌈 .
Below are the recipes for all 6 of my variations of The Last Word, collectively named: ‘somewhere over the 🌈 last word’ .
- Monkey 🐒 47 Gin, pomegranate liqueur and lime juice (30mls each), shaken with ice and strained. Garnish: strawberry 🍓rose 🌹 and sour 🍒 cherries 🍒.
- Adelaide Hills 78 Degrees Gin , The Italian (bitter orange 🍊 liqueur) and freshly squeezed orange juice (30mls each), shaken with ice + a sprig of thyme and double strained (to avoid thyme fragments entering the drink). Garnish: a sprig of thyme and orange peel.
- The Botanist Gin , limoncello, and 🍋 lemon juice (30mls eachs), shaken with ice and strained. Garnish: a maraschino cherry, lemongrass and lemon wheel.
- Hendrick’s Gin , maraschino liqueur , lime juice (30mls each) with muddled cucumber 🥒 slices (3 slices) and mint leaves (4leaves), shaken with ice and double strained. Garnish: fresh cucumber 🥒 slice and mint 🍃.
- Brookie’s Gin (30mls), Blue curacao (15mls) and muddled blueberries (handful), shaken with ice and double strained. Garnish: fresh blueberries.
- Ink Gin , elderflower liquer ,lime juice (30mls each) muddled with 2 sage leaves, shaken with ice and double strained. Garnish: lychees, and sage leaf.
Left to right: TheBotanist, 78Degrees, Monkey 47, Hendrick’s, Brookie’s and Ink Gin. Testing out the garnishes helps to visualise the end look of a drink and gives you an opportunity to alter it before mixing the cocktail : note strawberry 🌹 rose was altered (added cherries 🍒) later on and I swapped the botanist gin and monkey 🐒 47 recipes around 🙊!
- Prepare garnishes and ingredients prior to mixing cocktails.
- Try shake for about 10seconds using largish ice cubes.
- Traditionally it’s 1 part of everything but feel free to experiment and change the ratios but make sure the flavours balance out !
- Don’t be scared to experiment with flavours and ingredients .
Hope you guys have a go at making at least one of the recipes. If you are not a huge fan of chartreuse then these variations may change your mind!
Please comment or email me if you have any questions, and subscribe for more recipes! Remember, to always drink with style !